Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Martin's Birthday

Martin celebrated his 44th birthday on March 10th. I guess I'm running a bit behind on the ol' blogging. Sorry Babe!

Here is Martin with his birthday cake. He asked for Black Forest Gateaux, which is his favorite cake in the entire world. So, I searched the web for Black Forest Gateaux recipes and then Black Forest Cake recipes and finally settled on one.

I made him Chocolate Chip-Banana Muffins for breakfast. He does love him some muffins!
I had found the recipe on the flour bag and it sounded yummo (and it was).
Chocolate Chip-Banana Muffins
2 large ripe bananas
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
6 tbs melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Mini chips)
3/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
Preheat oven to 350. Ina medium bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add sugar and eggs and mix well. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla.
Add the flour, baking soda and buttermilk. Stir with a fork just enough to combine. Stir in choc. chips and nuts.
Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups (either line with muffin papers or spray with non-stick spray), filling almost full.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Let muffins stand for 5 minutes; then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
*I made mini muffins and it made approx. 30. Baked approx. 12-14 minutes.

Here I am after slaving for a large portion of the day over this birthday treat. It had 4 buttermilk devil's food cake layers (spritzed with coffee), with buttercream frosting (had cherry syrup and coffee in it) and cherries in between the layers and real, whipped, heavy cream frosting with shaved chocolate over it, along with Maraschino cherries. It was also the first time I got to use the black transferware cake stand that Aunt Ruth had bought us for a wedding gift! It was actually quite delish! I am not a big lover of fruit in desserts, but I did help eat our way through this cake!! He enjoyed it so much that he just might want it again every year!!!!


Dad & Mom came to eat dinner with us and enjoy his cake. It was so nice out that we ate out on the porch. I made Bruschetta chicken, pull apart bread w/ onions & garlic, cauliflower w/ cheese and Mom brought the salad. I set the table with red & black place mats, red dishes, black napkins and red & black beaded napkin rings.



Here is a picture of the inside of the cake. Between what we ate that night and what we sent home with Mom & Dad and for the Grandparents, there was about half of the cake left. Martin proceeded to eat a chunk of cake for any and all reasons that he could think of over the next 2-3 days. For breakfast. I took out the rubbish and now I need a treat. For lunch. I put away my laundry and am now famished. Might need another bit of cake. :) I do mean any reason he could come up with for needing another bit of cake, he found or invented it! Anyway, I'm happy that he liked it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures! Deedee, I've never seen you more beautiful!
Love, Aunt Linda