Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Green Thumb

I planted seeds several weeks ago. Basil, Chives and some type of flower... convulvulus, maybe... Anyway, I wrote on my calendar the day that each of them should have sprouted. The flowers and the basil were doing great, as you can see below. The chives, on the other hand, never did a thing and I had to re-plant. Ok, back to my basil. It was looking lovely and I was about ready to transplant it. And looking forward to fresh basil in my cooking. But...

One day I noticed that my basil leaves were no longer whole, but had little nibbles taken off them. The next day, they looked like this...


I couldn't figure out who or what was eating my basil. They hadn't bothered the flowers. Then, we walked out the front door that day, and tah! dah! Martin found the culprit!


A big fuzzy caterpillar!! I mentioned to Martin that he needed to move the flower boxes with my seedlings to the screened porch, but then we got busy and left. Then, I was gone most of the day Friday w/ Mom, all day Sat. for a scrapbook event, church on Sun. and when we returned home after a long day Sunday in Hobe Sound... My basil plants were all eaten!! Well, I had part of one left.
I have since replanted and they are growing right on target. The basil has started to sprout and those flower seedlings are doing great! I think that this time around the chives are going to make it, as well. I have enough basil that I plan on sharing it with a neighbor and Mom, if they want some.


No comments: